About Me

My photo
Warrensburg, MO, United States
Love your life or change it.

Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Chickity-China-The Chinese Chicken


Critique No. 4
Restaurant:

Aikou
608 Ne State Route 291
Lees Summit, MO 64086
(816) 347-9888

Cuisine: Chinese
Max. Seating Occupancy: 28
Price Point Average: Lunch- $4.99, Dinner- $7.99


Last week I stopped by Aikou, a Chinese restaurant in Lee's Summit, for lunch. When you pull up to it, it looks like many other nondescript Chinese restaurants that have been dropped into a strip mall. A very simple Asian theme dressed out this blank canvas. I was seated and very nonchalantly asked if I wanted a drink. I took the menu and peered over it as I saw the usual suspects. I decided to go with the General Tso's chicken, it came with Won Ton soup, and rice for $4.99, seems pretty awesome. I got some spring rolls- of course...who doesn't love spring rolls?!?! First came the spring rolls. They were very crispy and flavorful but a touch greasy for me. (I know they're deep fried, doesn't mean I want a serving of frying oil on my plate) Next, I got my Won Ton soup- and It was a 180 degree difference. The broth was super refreshing. It was full of ingredients, including: shrimp, chicken, beef, carrots, scallions, and jicama (nice touch ;) Not to mention these incredibly tender won ton wrappers filled with pork. Yum Diddley Dum-pling.
Then the chicken showed up. It was different than the General's chicken I'm used too.



It had this crazy blast of orange flavor that was cooling off the heat of those chile peppers. The rice on the other hand was a bit dry and not so flavorful- mediocre at best. When I told the employee behind the counter that I write a food blog, and asked to get some general info on the place- she just stared at me....blankly... So I turned and walked into the sunset- not really it was only like 1PM. Nonetheless, 2 out of the 4 menu items I ate were very good- BUT- 50% is hardly a passing grade. They have been opened for business in Lee's Summit for 3 months...maybe with time they'll tighten the screws and get it all in line. I guess in this case I received the short end of the stick at Aikou -as the saying goes- You get what you pay for.


Overall Rating: 3 out of 5


Please visit this locally owned business and see if you agree!

No comments:

Post a Comment